Friday, March 20, 2009

WJOX DJ threatens cyclists on air

***********************************
UPDATE: this is from AlabamaCyclingNews.com

The hosts of the "Round Table" on WJOX have, from what I understand, repeatedly said that their statements were taken out of context and they are not advocating violence against cyclists and their best friend/brother-in-law, etc is a cyclist.... They, from what I assume is responding to the "heat", are requesting that the show be contacted and not the advertisers.

I haven't heard the statements, etc, but it seems that the "out of context" excuse is the go to excuse used by all. If someone could get a recording of the comments, I guess we could determine the context. However, I personally have a hard time understanding what context suggesting someone clip a cyclist and send them flying over the handlebars could imply.
***************************************

Today (Thursday )on WJOX 94.5 Birmingham (around 11:50 AM) one of the DJ's advocated hitting cyclists with cars. He said "I wish people would hit them, just clip them and send them flying over their handlebars." The context was he was angry with cyclists riding in the road. I have called the station and have been put thru to voice mail with nobody responding. Maybe with added voices an apology and clarification will be achieved.........................................

PlEASE CALL TODAY AND LET THEM KNOW THAT THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. I plan to do the same with their sponsors. This is unacceptable, dangerous and malicious.

JOX 94.5 FM
WJOX
244 Goodwin Crest Drive
Suite 300
Birmingham, Alabama 35209
Business Office: 205.945.4646
Studio: 741-9450 or 800-239-WJOX (9569)
Fax: 205.945.3999
Program Director
Ryan Haney

Sales Manager
Lenny Frisaro

Promotions Director
Jennifer Dickson
EEO

8 comments:

Jarrod said...

What the crap. What DJ is it?

ryanmc said...

I just sent Ryan Haney an email, and told him how I felt about this. I also, told him I would be calling the station later in the day to talk to him.

paul cordes wilm said...

man that is screeeeewed up

jmilliron said...

who advertises on their show? I'd like to avoid their products.

Unknown said...

Here's LT's response, he sounds very contrite:

http://www.alabamacyclingnews.com/bicycle_news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=77:advocacy&id=472:statement-from-qltq-on-wjox

Unknown said...

Here was my exact letter to the station:

I tried to find the link to the story where his incendiary & idiotic remarks first appeared, but wasn’t sure if you post archives. That would be great if you could send a link (or links) to the original radio show and the one where he offered an apology. This is the main one I found so far, and it was from Alabama Cycling News:
http://radiotime.com/station/s_24253/Jox_945_FM.aspx

I am pleased to read LT’s contrite statement:
http://www.alabamacyclingnews.com/bicycle_news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=77:advocacy&id=472:statement-from-qltq-on-wjox

This is indeed a great opportunity for education on biking matters, not hyperbole & accusations. Today I caught part of the online show (live, I guess) where bike lanes in other cities were discussed (Another link I’d like to see since I didn’t catch the whole show). This is good news for the biking community, that such matters are getting out in the public eye more & more. I commute down Green Springs Hwy & in SouthSide regularly & also ride in downtown & Homewood. Birmingham is a very dangerous city for bikers, as the car drivers are generally ignorant of our concerns and often drive as if we aren’t there or seem to deliberately make travel tough on us. Now that I’ve seen LT’s apology of sorts I won’t be asking for a list of the Roundtable’s advertisers so that all bikers can boycott them.


~Jon Paolone
Recycling Coordinator
UAB Facilities

alan b said...

Dear Mr. or Mrs. Torque,
To start off, I have had friends that have been hit while riding their bikes on public streets and the idea that someone is JOKING OR NOT about purposefully injuring a cyclist isn't funny to me. I don't consider that a small statement to take offense to when someone's life is on the line. Secondly, cyclists are considered vehicles and are allowed on ALL roads in the great state of Alabama unless it is controlled access. The fact that you think there is ample cycling lanes to provide people the necessary infrastructure to commute to work, school, or to exercise is laughable to me.

Lastly, what is more American and democratic to call people to a public boycott of an institution that they do not agree with or that they feel is unjust? Have you ever heard of the fucking Boston Tea Party? There was no call for FCC censorship or government intervention, simply a group of people making their disagreement and disgust known. Simple as that.

Good day,

Alan

Unknown said...

Well put Alan. My thoughts -

A) This issue seems to have been resolved so why is 'Torque' posting just now?

B) Torque must be afraid to leave his or her real name.

C) Our skin is indeed thin when it hits the pavement at 20-30 mph as the result of a careless or asshole car/motorcycle driver.

D) Thanks for your thoughts, we're happy to provide the cure for ignorance & misconceptions.

~Jon Paolone